Friday, September 26, 2008

Upsets and General Musings

Gentlemen,
It's hard to call an upset this weekend worthy of being a real upset when No. 1 goes down on Thursday Night. This one was not on my radar. Two weeks ago Oregon State had nothing even resembling a good football team when they were absolutely taken to the woodshed by our Nittany Lions. I mean all the "experts" were ready to give them the trophy already. I think people are going to have to take a serious look at Penn State now.

As for people saying the Big Ten is down, I disagree. It's just not the same teams at the top. Just because Michigan and Ohio State aren't title contenders doesn't mean the entire Big Ten is worthless. Wisconsin looks solid, I liked what I saw from Michigan State and I believe when Pryor gets a little more comfortable Ohio State will make a solid team. Then there is always one sleeper in the Big Ten every year. I think we will have a solid lineup come bowl season which is the ONLY proving ground the entire year. That's when we find out which conference is legit and how full of shit Mark May actually is. I like Penn State's chances to take the Big Ten and make a title run. I said the other day, they looked as good as any team can in 4 games against nobodies.

Keys to victory: Special Teams- We've haven't been able to stop any return man on their side of the 20 so far. That needs to change againts Ahrelius Benn. The way the defense and offense have been looking I wouldn't care if we kicked it out of bounds every time. Sounds stupid but if we did that 3 years ago we would have been in the running for a title. Sorry to bring up painful memories.

Upset special: This weekend is always chocked full of upsets considering no one has really been tested too much. One's on my radar: TCU Oklahoma simply because other "experts" were calling Oklahoma the best team in the land and I like the name Hornfrogs. For some reason I keep staring at that Navy-Wake matchup. You can never really count out the Midshipmen. And here's where I lose all credibility come Sunday... Michigan over Wisconsin. I have not seen anything from Michigan that shows me they are capable of beating '06 Team VJ Pepicelli, but something about Michigan being the underdog at home just doesn't sit right with my upbringing. Once again I've gone past the normal amount but no one up here talks college football so I've been stewing these for a while.
-Respect

1 Comment:

Peter Lawrence said...

Enjoyed the Team VJ Pepicelli shout out. I also agree that Michigan hasnt' shown anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure even our 07 squad could take them.