Tuesday, November 25, 2008

2008 All Big Ten Team

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112408aag.html

In case you missed it, the All Big Ten Teams and individual honors were announced last night on the Big Ten Network. I was very pleased with the results, as Penn State was heavily involved in these honors. The two most distinguished awards received by Penn Staters were Big Ten Coach of the year (Joe Paterno) and Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the year (AQ Shipley).

Shipley has had an awesome career for Penn State, starting at center for three years. He came in as a highly recruited prospect out of Moon, PA. and he certainly lived up to expectations. I don’t know how much his height will affect his draft status and his performance in the NFL, but I expect him to have a future at the next level. The entire offensive line was incredible for most of the year (up until Ohio State and Iowa), and they were awarded with three first team All Big Ten selections in Shipley, Orhenberger, and Cadogan. I believe all three players definitely deserved these awards. In fact I was kind of surprised Wisniewski didn’t make the first team, but he was named to the second team as only a sophomore, and will have two more cracks at it.

For the rest of the offense, first teamers included Darryl Clark at QB, Derrick Williams at WR. I’m very glad that Clark was named to the first team by both the coaches and the media, because he definitely deserved it. He was without a doubt the best quarterback in the Big Ten this year, even with his drop off late in the year. He exceeded all expectations. I had heard mentions of it going to Juice Williams, and that would have just been ridiculous.

As for Williams, I was surprised he got first team (he was second team for the media picks). But, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. His stats as a receiver certainly don’t justify him being listed as one of the top two wideouts in the conference, but you have to look at the whole picture. First of all, Penn State had three great wide receivers this year, so the ball is going to get spread around pretty evenly, and his stats will be lower as a result. Secondly, you have to consider everything else he brings to the table. He had a great year on special teams, returning both punts and kicks. Also, he lined up as wide receiver, quarterback, and running back, doing everything from catching the ball to running the ball and passing the ball. He also is a tremendous downfield blocker. With all of these things taken into account, the pick makes a lot more sense.

One defense Maybin was an obvious selection for first team. Also on the defensive line, Odrick was a first teamer with the coaches and second teamer with the media. I was very glad to see this because he has been perhaps our best defensive player for the second half of the season and he goes widely unnoticed. He has been dominant lately and has really worked his way into being a dominant starter in the Big Ten. I knew he deserved this recognition but wasn’t sure if he would actually get it. I’m glad he did. I’m also glad he will be back next year. I expect Penn State to have the best defensive front seven in the ENTIRE COUNTRY next season. They only lose Josh Gaines, and get back Sean Lee, Devon Still, and Jerome Hayes from injury. Think about this line: Maybin, Ogbu, Koroma, Odrick, Evans, Hayes, Still. Then to the linebackers: Bowman, Lee, Mauti, Yancich, Stupar, Gbadu, Hull. There can’t possibly be a better combination of talent and experience anywhere else.

Among linebackers, Navarro Bowman was named to both first team lists, and I agree with this selection. I’m glad to see he got the credit he deserved. He had a great year and will only get better.

In the secondary, Scirotto was a first teamer and second teamer. I don’t really agree with this. I didn’t think he had a very good year. In my opinion, he really tailed off after his impressive sophomore season.

Other players receiving second team selections included Evan Royster and Deon Butler. Royster was our best offensive weapon all year and in my opinion could have and should have been used even more. He will have two more years to shine before leaving Penn State as the most prolific rusher in Penn State history. Butler had another great year to end a very remarkable and improbable career at Penn State.

Many more Penn State players received honorable mention. The one I was happiest about was Tony Davis. Another player that largely goes unnoticed but had a very solid career for Penn State. I’m glad to see him get some credit.

As for other teams, I agree with the pick of Shonn Green for offensive player of the year. I was hoping to see Maybin get defensive player or at least defensive lineman of the year, but those went to James Laurinaitis and Mitch King respectively. Maybin will have another two years to try and garner these accolades.

Other players to note: Eric Decker – WR Minnesota. I know Penn State didn’t play them this year, but I saw some of their games, and this kid is the real deal. He is a great wide receiver, and I’m glad he was awarded for his incredible season.

0 Comments: