Friday, January 9, 2009

Maybin going pro?

There are lots of rumors that Maybin has decided to enter the 09 draft. I really didn't think he would do this, even after people were projecting him to go top five. It still isn't official, but it is sounding like he's gone, which really surprises me.

I think he would have benefited by another year in college. He only started for one year, and his weight is really going to be a problem at the next level. I think he can be succesful as a situational pass rusher, but I don't see him being an every down player in the NFL. Is a team really going to spend a top 10 pick on someone that is not an every down player? I wouldn't think so. McShay has Maybin in his top five. I'd be surprised if he goes in the top 15. I'm sure his combine numbers will be impressive, so that could help. He is the quickest d-lineman I've ever seen. But he's also the smallest.

The reason I am most unhappy about this, of course, is it hurts Penn State next season. He is a great pass rusher and would have been a key contributor in one of hte best defenses in the country. Penn State will be fine without him, as long as Maurice Evans comes back. There are people saying he will enter the draft too. I think that too would be a mistake, after such a dissapointing season this year. But you never know what factors he is basing his decision on. If he comes back, PSU will be fine at DE with Jerome Hayes returning, and the Crawford kid who looks like a good talent. If Evans goes, end could go from the biggest strength on the team to a big question mark.

0 Comments: