Friday, January 2, 2009

We'll get em next year

There is not much to say about the game. USC saw a weak spot in our coverage and exploited the bejesus out of it. They picked up some many 3rd and longs I don't care to count. On the other side I thought Penn State made some very bad calls on 3rd down and we didn't have many drives because of it. Oh well...

My hat goes off to Marc Sanchez. That kid was damn near perfect. I had seen him play poorly in a couple games this year and my attention went more towards stopping the run. It was pretty apparent that Bradley and the defense thought Sanchez made bad decisions under pressure which is why we brought the rush so much. That plan was foiled when Sanchez stayed poised and found the open man time and time again. USC was the better team and thats that.

I disagree vehemently with Kirk Herbstreit saying USC changed their game plan and thats why Penn State was able to come back. He cited the fact that they weren't throwing down field as much. While correct in that statement, his is overall incorrect because Penn State was giving large cushions down-field so USC was just dumping underneath. I am prouder than hell of the effort the boys put up in the second half. Alot of teams would have quit but they kept plugging.

The balls of steel award goes to Jordan Norwood for about the 50th time. That kid is unbelieviable. I'm pretty sure Kevin Kelly outweighs him but he will still go across the middle on anyone. Also he was knocked out on the helmet to helmet collision. Thats a fact; and he came back in the game and continued to play hard. It saddens me to think about how when people talk about the guys that embody the Penn State spirit his name will be absent. He impressed me when he toed the field as a 160 lb red shirt freshman and still wows me today. I think he will be missed way more than people think.

So where do we go from here? It was a great season and I enjoyed watching it. Just gotta take some time off, hit the recruiting trails and get ready for next year.

0 Comments: