Thursday, December 31, 2009

Southern Chicks are Sluts

Before I began to actually think about what I was going to say in this post, I had my mind made up that Penn State was going to lose. When you look at our losses compared to theirs, the scales just tip to LSU's favor. I think Ohio State is a good team and if we had shown up to play at all I would be proud to call it a loss. How Iowa beat us still baffles me. What discourages me more is that Iowa should have beaten OSU on their home turf. Astounding. But the closer I got to putting pen to paper all I could think was "Can Penn State really lose two bowl games in a row?"

Unfathomable, right? Penn State has far and above proven themselves to be the over-achiever of the Big Ten in bowl victories. I remember the days of my father preaching to me "Give Jerry Sandusky two weeks and he'll prepare a defense that could stop God." To a lesser extent I still find this true with the current coaching staff. They have done a tremendous job, by and large, preparing for an unfamiliar foe. And I don't know how many times we have to prove that we have speed at Penn State. Every year that's all the announcers talk about leading up to the game and we always hear of opposing coaches being amazed at our speed after the game. You would think they could find a new angle.

What honestly sat in my mind the most was last years bowl prediction. All three of us took Penn State over USC and although hindsight is 20/20 and you guys will think I'm full of it, I didn't really see how Penn State could beat the Trojans and was less than surprised at the outcome. I don't want to make that mistake again. Because to be completely honest, the fact that more and more people are reading what we have to say is maybe one of the coolest feelings in the world. And I'm trying to bring just a small piece of legitimacy to this site.

So after days of waffling one thought came to my head and my decision was made up. This is a big game, and Darryl Clark has proven he can't win them. I don't mean to throw losses on one guy's shoulders but he really has not come through when we needed him the most. I think the Bayou Bengals take this one based on a stagnant Penn State offense and a porous special teams.

2 Comments:

J/C '10 said...

This was the sloppiest mud-filled event since the now infamous "slip cup 2007" debacle. Looking at the numbers alone, Penn State more or less dominated (1st downs, net yards, time of possession, ect ect). Had Penn State have lost any of those 4 (that's right, 4) fumbles, the scale would have tilted in LSU's favor. Needless to say, a win is a win...Now onto something more serious, and that's your bold heading "Southern Chicks are Sluts" while providing no real evidence to support that allegation. Can I get a funny story? A old folk tale? Perhaps a haiku illustrating the complexities of the modern day Southern Chick's "slutness". Since I'm from Jersey, no offense is really taken by such a charge, all I'm saying is I'd like a little production value when I read a heading like "Southern Chicks are Sluts", that's all. Good day...

Peter Lawrence said...

Yet another solid contribution from the Jorges/Chalfin 2010 campaign!