Friday, September 10, 2010

The Big One

I can’t remember the last time I’ve gone into a game thinking Penn State’s chances are as slim as they are tomorrow night against Alabama. Even during the 3-9 seasons, they went into every game with a decent shot. But I don’t see them pulling this one out.
It’s not because Alabama is all that great. Nor is it because Penn State is all that bad. It’s just that Penn State is too inexperienced. As I said in a previous post, I think this would be a much better game if it were played at the end of the season when Penn State’s offensive line, linebackers and quarterback had some games under their belts. Unfortunately, it’s being played during Week 2, and I just don’t think the Lions have much of a shot. I don’t necessarily think it will be a blowout, but I would be absolutely shocked if Penn State won the game.
It’s become clear to me that the team put a lot of time and focus on improving their special teams during the preseason. It showed in game one. I like their logic behind this approach…. The coaches knew they would have an inexperienced QB this season, regardless of who won the battle. As a result, they want to try to avoid being in a position where they have to ask their quarterback to do a whole lot. They don’t want to ask too much of him. So they are hoping the defense can keep opponents down, and they can maybe sneak in a score on defense or special teams. That way there is not as much pressure on the offense to put up points.
I think that Penn State’s only shot this weekend is if they do indeed get a non-offensive touchdown at some point in the game. If they can hold Alabama to field goals instead of touchdowns, and throw in a special teams or defensive score, they might be able to pull it out. But I really don’t see Bolden leading the offense on long sustained drives down the field. I absolutely agree with Jason, they NEED TO USE THEIR WEAPONS. Throw in some trick plays. Utilize speedsters like Silas Redd and Devon Smith. Run a double reverse or something like that. It’s their best chance to score offensively. If the offensive line couldn’t run block against Youngstown State, they won’t be able to against Alabama.
I don’t expect the coaches to allow Bolden to do a whole lot. In just his second game, on the road, in a hostile environment, I think they will try to keep things pretty simple and limited for him. I’m sure they are telling him his main job is to not turn the ball over. Unfortunately, I think he will need to do more than not turn the ball over in order for Penn State to win. But I could be wrong, I didn’t think the coaching staff would start a true freshman in the first place, and they did. So maybe they will let the kid air it out. Why not? They’ve got nothing to lose.

0 Comments: