Friday, November 12, 2010

Nutcrackers

Let me start off by saying I was never happier to be so wrong as I was after Michigan. I honestly don't know if a lousy Michigan defense or PSU finally putting the offense together had more to do with the Lions output. After watching Penn State-Northwestern I'm inclined to think the Lions have some things figured out.

The third quarter of last week's game was maybe the most dominant I've ever seen Penn State play over a Big Ten opponent. Everything seemed to be working. I've been very impressed with the execution on the screens, particularly with Joe Suhey who has great feet and hands for a fullback and is the first Suhey to earn his scholarship since the 60's. I thought the linebacker play improved and almost solely due to Michael Mauti, who is an extremely athletic and intense guy. He breaks the mold of the usually dominant yet stoic linebackers in Penn State's past.

On the offensive side I am not sold on McGloin. He went to Moye on about 12 straight plays. A lot of them in traffic. It seems the roll out to the right with Moye deep and Brackett short is his favorite play, and you best believe Ohio State is waiting on it. He's going to have to mix it up a lot more against a superior Buckeye defense. And for all those who are completely blind, Evan Royster will only be the career leading in rushing yards for about two more seasons. Silas Redd is the truth.

As for the Fighting Sweater Vests, I'm not sold on them. They've squeaked by too many times and quite frankly I'm still not sold on Prior as a viable big game quarterback. In my opinion their most credible win is Illinois. They have not beaten a team that is currently ranked in the top 25. For the first time in my life I think our opponent has a simpler and more predictable offense than our own. What does Ohio State have? Talent. And they have it by the truckload. And although the sight of Tressel makes me gag like Dee Reynolds doing stand-up, the guy is a good coach.

Can Penn State go in to Columbus and grab a win? Absolutely. I really think that no one has any idea how good either of these teams really are. I think it will be one hell of a game to watch. And the Lions under the lights in the road whites will send me from six to midnight every time.

-Bani Gbadyu still sucks

0 Comments: