Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Just One Wish

It is now post-Christmas and some of the coaching names that were being tossed around are now moot. I must first address the absolute shenanigans surrounding this whole coaching shake up. WTF? How in the world does Sue Paterno have to justify knowing her husband is not in the hospital? Is this what media in this country has become? A chain e-mail started by some mook with a subscription to Blue-White Illustrated? I mean good gravy. I actually lost it on my Dad pretty hard for spreading these rumors around at Christmas dinner, not because I knew they were false or anything but I automatically knew the source of them was totally bogus. I blame ESPN for coining the phrase "A source close to the program." Typing those words or saying them during an official broadcast should be punishable by death henceforth. Also let me say that I've been hearing for close to 15 years now that "This will definitely be Joe's last season/game." Also now punishable by death.


So amidst all these coaching rumors what is my one wish? No Tony Dungy. Not that I believe he was ever a real candidate for one second, let me still be clear I want him no where near our program. That self-righteous motivational speaker can take his clean language and proper behavior somewhere else. I need real people in my life. I need fire, I need passion. It is in that regard that I feel Bill Cowher is the greatest type of coach there is. Screw up on a play and he will grab you by the scrotum 10 yards before the sideline. Redeem yourself on the next play and he will greet you with a bear hug 15 yards before the sideline. Let me also be clear, Bill Cowher will not coach at Penn State either.

I would welcome all the names Pete and Rudy mentioned save for Dungy. All of the candidates have strong points and weak ones. If I had to give my vote for someone, it would be Pat Fitzgerald. Although he is probably not the best football mind among those mentioned, I think he would hold true to Penn State football. Strong defense with a bruising running attack. My other main selling point is that this guy is still young. I don't like coaching changes on my team so when Joe goes I would like to go another 30 or so years before I have to do this again.

0 Comments: