Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bolden = Albright

This whole QB situation is just getting bizarre now. McGloin has proven himself to be head and shoulders above Bolden, and it’s clear the staff recognizes this because in close games, when the game is on the line, it’s McGloin that is on the field. The last two games McGloin has taken over 75% of the snaps, so it’s obvious the staff feels most comfortable with him running the offense. However, Rob Bolden continues to start every single game, and also take the field for the opening drive of the second half in every game. What’s the deal with this?

It really seems like the staff is starting Bolden just so they can say that he “got the start.” They don’t show any intention of letting him lead the offense all game. Rather, they stick him in there for the first series or two of each half, and then get him out of there for the rest of the half, just to get it out of the way. It’s almost seems like Paterno promised Bolden and/or Bolden’s father, that Rob would start every game if he didn’t transfer. And now that he stayed, he’s keeping his promise by giving him the “start” but nothing more. I don’t honestly think this is actually the case, but something fishy is going on here. I mean, what’s the point in playing him for those few series each game? He has been so inaccurate and inconsistent that it’s pretty much throwing away those series each game. Has Bolden ever completed three consecutive passes in his career? I wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is no. When you send him out there, it’s pretty much conceding that you aren’t really trying to score points.

I don’t think this is fair to the team, to McGloin, but most importantly, to Bolden. If you are going to throw him out there just so you can say he got in the game, but you aren’t going to really give him a chance, what good is that doing him? It’s not fair to the team, because it’s not giving the team the best chance to score points. And it’s not fair to McGloin, because he’s won the job fair and square.

But at this point you are probably wondering what the title of this post is referring to. Let me explain… Every so often, I will get a phone call, and my caller ID informs me that it’s Albright calling. Naturally, I press the “ignore” button so I don’t have to actually talk to him. Once I accumulate a few missed calls from Albright, I begin to feel a little bit guilty. So what I do is I will call him back at a time when he is known to be at work and therefore unable to answer his phone. This way he will see my missed call, and I get credit for returning his call, but I don’t have to actually talk to him. So I’m not calling Albright to speak with him, I’m calling him just so I can say that I called him back. Similarly, I think the coaching staff is playing Bolden, not because they want to or they think it’s best for the team, but rather they are starting him just so they can say that he “started.”

More on the game to come.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

why do you hate albright?