Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Season Begins Today

Sitting in the stands before the Alabama game, I made the comment, "What does this game really mean?" The rhetorical answer to that question, really, is NOTHING! Sure, we all want to compete for a National Championship but I think it is clear that Penn State is not a 12-0 caliber team. However, a Big Ten Leaders division championship and a spot on the turf in Indy in December is a very realistic goal which begins today. I think the old philosophy of rooting for your future opponents to win games is over and we will begin to have a more NFL-like ideology where we want divisional opponents to lose (i.e. Nebraska beating Wisconsin or Northwestern over Illinois).

Things I am looking for against Indiana:


  • I, too, am excited to see the replacement corners, Thomas and Amos. I think this is the game where one of them makes a name for himself and becomes part of the first team.

  • I am not a big Devon Smith fan, but I don't think they are using him properly. Sending him on deep routes just isn't gonna work. Everyone knows about his speed now and they will prepare for it. However, if you give him the ball in the short crossing routes or on WR screens where he has some green space, things might happen. I think he is more useful in this phase than any other receiver we have.

  • How much will the injury of Michael Mauti really hurt? I dont think we will find out today but if there is one position on this team that can afford a major loss, it is at Linebacker. Again, time for young guys to step up. I want to see what Mike Hull can do. Also, can Gerald Hodges start playing up to capabilities?

PS...The intra-state smack talk has been rather quite of late so I will get the ball rolling again. I still cant believe that Pitt advertises "9 Time National Champions" at Heniz Field. If PSU took the same approach, they would have to build another stadium addition to fill the space. Talk about false advertising...

0 Comments: