Monday, September 29, 2008

Big Ten Opener...

I think you guys hit the nail on the head with a few exceptions so I'll try not to repeat. I do want to mention one guy who played great and usually fails to impress, Mark Rubin. He improved his tackling tremendously and is doing all the things a safety needs to do. On to D-Will, I think he is assembling a great resume for the Heisman Trophy but I'm not ready to give it to him yet. He pulled one of his old stunts that is an absolute pet peeve of mine, that little "everyone get away from the punt" maneuver. Luckily we caught a break and were able to keep the ball after it hit off an Illini player inches away from a Penn State player. He has been doing that for years and it has to stop. His blockers can't see him, the ball, and their block all at the same time. That could have been a game changing turnover and could happen at an inopportune time if he does it again. Fair catch the ball. You should only pull that on an absolute shank.
I didn't notice Josh Hull playing that terrible but I also didn't notice him do anything great either so I'll have to watch him next week. I had big fears about special teams and they did a great job. I think now the biggest question is the secondary. Good thing no one in the Big Ten has a really strong passing attack. On that note I want to give A.J. Wallace a little respect for that play he made in the endzone. Very nice play.
Not to look ahead too much but I think Penn State has a real shot at something great here. Ohio State will be tough as always. And don't worry boys I gave myself a pat on the back for those upset picks. Thanks for the praise jagoffs.
More on Friday.

0 Comments: