Sunday, October 26, 2008

I just booked a flight for Miami...

Put it on the board, championship! If you read back to my last post there were two components to a national championship season that we were missing and we got them. The knock down drag out game and Rubin poking that ball away will be seen on every Penn State montage for the rest of the season. I can't say how big that play was. Ohio State had the ball and that clocked seemed like it was in fast-forward. I was worried. I went to my mom's liquor cabinet and saw a bottle of Jim Beam that had my name on it if we lost. One play and the entire game changes. We get great field position and Devlin steps in and does what he needs to do to get in the endzone.
Ya know, for as little as we actually know we are proven right an awful lot. Pete I believe it was you that lamented on Kevin Kelley's propensity for choking... spot on. That field goal he missed was make-able and could have put us up huge. He missed and Ohio State gets a big momentum swing. Poor. Also going way back when we talked about conservative play calling on the road. WTF? It became evidently clear that Ohio State's offense was not going to burn us for 35 points. We were also struggling because we were not doing what we normally do. Doug Flutie even noticed this at halftime and encourage Penn State to open it up. We never did and luckily we got it done running between the tackles. I'll take a win against the bucks anyway I can take it but I really think we could have gone to throw the ball more. Too many wide reciever screens and it was plainly obvious when the ball was going to Williams. I obviously don't have the stats but the passes where we went vertical usually resulted in a catch or a pass interference. Their D-line was applying good pressure but you can't rush 8 and cover 4. Get rid of the ball and make them pay.
But I'm doing an awful lot of complaining after such a game. This team has mettle and it was tested. That was a big win on the road and all but secured Penn State's undefeated season. I would have liked to see Darryl Clark be a little more supportive on the sidelines. I definitely understand how upset he was but it took him a little too long to get to the front of the sidelines and cheer on his team. Back to positives though, I thought the defensive line played absolutely outstanding. Wells was absolutely bottled up and they were getting penetration on almost every play. I'm wondering why we didn't see Mauti much though.
On a personal note, does anyone else get a little psyched up to see Larry Federhoff be the first man to the ball on every punt? Cuz I know I do.
This is a big season. We could end up getting screwed but thats out of our hands. I know I will go broke on a ticket for the Orange Bowl and will never allow myself to regret it. Also I would love to see a Penn State-Alabama national championship purely for the old film footage. I think we all need a bye week just as much as the players so I'll be thinking only of upsets for this next week.

You're better off with Fedrhoff.

0 Comments: