Sunday, October 26, 2008

WOW

What an incredible game. What a great win. After a game like that, I can't get my mind off of Penn State football for a few days, so I figured I'd write something up for the blog right away.

First of all, I must admit, that game did not go AT ALL like I had expected. I was completely wrong. Penn State's offense could not get anything going, but the defense was phenomenal. They completely shut down the run, which is what I said they needed to do. Bradley game-planned perfectly. Shut down Chris Wells and Penn State wins... they shut down Chris Wells and they won.

I'm surprised PSU couldn't put up more points. It seems like every time these two teams meet, points are at a premium and its a struggle to even get a field goal. I don't know why this is, but it happens almost every year. This defensive struggle was much like 05.

I think I will just throw out my thoughts in no particular order:

-There were at least 5 plays where OSU was blatantly holding and it was never called.

-PSU: No penalties, no turnovers. That's huge.

-Rubin tackled very well. Bowman played a great game.

- Scirotto still can not tackle.

- O-line really struggled in the first half. Clark saw more pressue in those 2 quarters than he saw all year. They picked it up in the second half.

- I was hoping for a double reverse all game. Could have been a big play.

- Devlin showed a lot of poise coming in like that.

- Clark showed tremendous strength running the ball.

- Pryor really really impressed me. Much better than I thought he would do. Found the open man (why were they so wide open all game?) He converted on many third down conversions. He handled himself well and he's going to be tough for the next three years. He still throws like a girl though. And just as I predicted, he could not beat PSU through the air. Holding the Buckeyes to just two field goals at home is a huge accomplishment for this defense. They really have played tremendously.

- Royster had a bad first half. Made some bad cuts. Redeemed himself in the fourth quarter though.

- Where was Jordan Norwood? Where was Andrew Quarless?

- Ty Sales played great, and Hull played a good game as well.

-Coverage by the secondary was not good. Guys were wide open all game and I saw Rubin, Davis, and Sargeant get turned around a few times. Not sure what was going on there.

-GREAT WIN. Iowa is next.

0 Comments: