Friday, October 17, 2008

One Word Gentlemen

You hear certain catch phrases from college analysts and sports writers over and over again. Some things make more sense than others. One of those catch phrases I always heard growing up was "senior leadership" and how important it was to a team. And I always thought "Bullshit, talent is important to a team." Then I was on a team that had no leadership and I saw how important it actually was. So Penn State will win this game and the rest of their schedule because of one word, and it isn't leadership. The word is another one of those catch phrases thrown around that I also thought was bullshit until I played on a team that had it and reaped the benefits. In a word gentlemen... swagger. Penn State has it and there is no taking it away. Very similar to a certain team known as the PSBC. There was no reason that Kent State shouldn't have grabbed one game from us over four years other than the fact that we had swagger and we knew we weren't going to lose. The Lions know they are going to win, and that decides many contests already.
I don't want to confuse cockiness with swagger because there is a difference. This team is still humble compared to past teams like USC. Nick Lachey is not calling Darryl Clark to hit the clubs. Michael Jordan doesn't have Deon Butler on speed dial. The tonight show isn't calling Aaron Maybin. We play in a secluded spot known for football only slightly more than agriculture. This team can stay grounded because we don't have a permanent ESPN reported stationed outside Holuba Hall. Swagger boys, swagger.
As for the comments of Mr. Hottel, while I would definitely give a nod to JoePa for coach of the year honors, I'm not ready to give him a contract extension. I don't think he is worried about it either. Contract extension worries are for second string linebackers and relief pitchers. Also, there is no way of knowing who is actually coaching this team. I mean say it is Tom Bradley doing everything and we keep Joe around for a figure head for 3 more years. Bradley has interviewed for other positions before. I don't want to lose Bradley so Paterno can keep up this battle with Boddy Bowden. After we win it all this year it will be a perfect time for Paterno to step down much as the legendary Bear Bryant did. Although I hope Joe lives longer in to retirement than the Bear did simply for the enormous ovation he will get when he returns to Beaver Stadium the next year.
As for you Mr. Chalfin, I somewhat agree and somewhat don't. I know its Michigan and I know the history. But this team is bad. No player on this team has beaten Michigan and they know that just as well as we do. I would be more concerned if we were playing Indiana this week in the sense of complacency or look-ahead. These guys want to tear Michigan apart and they will. Penn State rolls big time and doesn't let up. 45-6.
On to upsets: Glad to see BYU go down last night. Jesus or football folks, can't have both. Peter Chalfin made that decision a long time ago and has never looked back. It seems I have been beaten to the punch for this week. I like Sparty big time. Pryor is only one bad game away before they pull him for Boeckman and he starts fighting with coaches and crying on the sidelines. He's only heard how great he is for the past 10 years and now people are going to tell him he sucks. Messes with the psyche. I also like the Gamecocks at home. Les Miles is a douche.

We'll hit the line roll up the score, fight on to victory forever more...

0 Comments: