Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rudy Returns

After a long hiatus (since Art's Fest), I will be back in town for the regular season finale. I had plans to buy a ticket several weeks ago because I knew this would be a huge game, and back then, thought it might be the game that clinched our spot at the National Championship game. I found a ticket for $100 and contacted the guy immediately. Not a bad price for such a big game. I got in touch with a friend to make the transaction in State College. I sent a check for the cost of the ticket and was set. But alas, this friend never made the transaction. I contacted him a few days ago and found this out. Had Penn State beaten Iowa, I would have been a little upset because ticket prices would have likely gone up. But we didn't win...and due to his laziness/forgetfulness/whatever, I never paid $100 for a ticket. Now I am paying $50 and even had some offers for $40! Although I'm glad that I didn't have to pay more for my ticket, it astounds me that so many people are trying to just get rid of this ticket. This is a historic game that I wouldn't miss for the world.

As Hottel mentioned, it is senior day, and what a group they are. Who wouldn't want to be in attendance for Derrick Williams last game in Beaver Stadium? To send off Jordan Norwood and Deon Butler, Williams, and Gaines, and others that are the most class act players you will ever find? And then there are the questions that still linger about Paterno and this maybe being his last game, but I think he will be back for another year at least. Of course on July 30th at Fenway, I thought that Manny would be back at the park the next day and that didn't work out. If this is Paterno's last game, no one will know until next year. It will be a magical night regardless and the team they are playing isn't too bad either.

Michigan State is highly one dimensional and on paper, this should be a sure win for the Lions. But as Mr. Chalfin addressed, the game will be won or lost by Penn State and in particular Daryll Clark. I was not able to watch the game last weekend live, but I downloaded a recorded version and watched that the other night. My analysis on Clark was that on certain drives he played very well, made good throws with good timing and moved the ball down the field. Other times he short armed it, didn't use proper footwork, and occasionally held on to the ball too long. The interception wasn't terrible. There were two guys on Butler, but sometimes you've got to give it a shot. He clearly needs to secure that ball better, and he knows that. A lot of his fumbles even happen while he's got two hands on the ball because when he runs through the line, he has the ball held firmly with both hands, but at his chest and he runs straight up giving players a target to aim their hats at. Put those shoulders down so defenders can't even get a shot at the ball.

Hopefully these things will be addressed, but what some people also don't realize is that Penn State faced three very good defensive lines in the past three games. Four even if you include Michigan. Indiana has been near the top of the Big Ten in sacks for the past few years and are there again this year. Iowa of course was very elite, but MSU's defense is a little suspect. Clark should have some time back there, and I would like to see him run more because he's a great runner, he just needs to hold onto that football! The key to the game will be stopping the run, which I have no doubt PSU will be able to do (Ringer is second in the nation in rushing yards, but only averages 4.4 yards per carry), and also to keep the Spartan receivers in front of them. Last year they got burned by Hoyer in the second half, and as long as they don't give up the big pass, they should have a good shot at a win provided they don't turn the ball over.

I am extremely excited for the game this weekend and to just get back to everything that I miss so much. It will be a great atmosphere and will be emotional not only for the players, but the fans as well as we all say goodbye to some of the greats that we will likely tell our children about. This team has worked hard all season and has exceeded everyone's expectations. The Rose Bowl is in sight, and even though there is a good chance we could be matched with Oregon State in a no-win situation, there is also a chance we will get the opportunity to prove our worth and right the Big Ten ship against USC and Pete Carroll, the most overrated coach in college football. There is no reason that team should ever lose with the athletes it has, but I'll save that discussion for some other time. I can't wait for Saturday even if it's going to be less than 30 degrees and I don't have a winter jacket...it will be a weekend I may never forget. Fight On State.

0 Comments: