Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bowl Game Propaganda

Not sure how many of you got a chance to watch the "Bowl Game Promo" (click here for link) shown smack dab on the front of Penn State's athletic website Gopsusports.com. I read briefly about this in some articles, but not until this evening did I stumble upon it and actually watch the video.

How do I feel about this video? The fact that I have to make a stance on this video is what is wrong with the system. Go ahead and argue the x' and o's, head-to-head comparisons, etc. This is blatant proof that the selection process is absolutely ludicrous and that college football is simply a money-making MACHINE.

As a loyal fan, sure, I'm pulling for us to get a BCS bid and a chance to knock off a top-ranked and/or potentially undefeated team (Boise State). Contrarily, I have about as much interest in watching Iowa play in a BCS game (should they be selected) as some of the West Point Cadets had (caught snoozing) listening to Obama present his politically divided Afghanistan insurgent speech. However, do we deserve the bid? See previous posts and you decide.

I'd imagine Guido is behind this operation, as he should be because it's his job, to promote Penn State football (and basketball). But I guess I will go ahead and make my stance. I don't like it. If the Penn State brand is that good, do we need to sell it this much? Is the Fiesta Bowl committee really going to base their selection off some statistics they saw on a promo video? As much as it may seem like they are sometimes (see the BCS), these people are not idiots and they have access to this information at their fingertips at the touch of a button.

Maybe I'm totally off-base here, but I'm not buying into the whole Bowl Game Propaganda. Get your popcorn folks, December 6th is quickly approaching. WE ARE...(and if you don't know the rest, I'll throw together a promo video clearly describing the origins of this popular game-day chant.)

0 Comments: