Thursday, September 16, 2010

Further Alabama Analysis

I think Drew hit most of the big issues. The tackling was by far the worst of the issues, with the red zone turnovers not far behind, and yes, Fera really struggled punting the ball. Some other thoughts:

-Offensive Line needs to do a better job. There was minimal room to run, and the first interception was completely on the OL. Blitzers went straight through to Bolden untouched, hitting him just when he was releasing the ball.

-Pass rush is non-existent. They need to pressure the quarterback but have not been able to. Crawford has done nothing this year, and the linebackers haven't done much either in terms of rushing the passer. This is the main reason PSU has yet to force a turnover this season.

- I was surprised at how upset a lot of PSU fans were after this game. Like I said before, I would have been absolutely shocked if Penn State won. It was a real longshot, but there were some positives to take away from the game for sure. I was very impressed/surprised with how well Penn State moved the ball on Alabama. I was really encouraged with the playcalling. I thought Galen Hall did a great job of mixing things up. They weren't nearly as conservative and predictable as I had expected, and they had a lot of success moving the ball. They just always turned it over in the red zone. Bolden is going to be very good.

-Silas Red has been the Lion's most impressive running back so far this season. He needs to be on the field more.

-Nick Sukay looks like he has no idea what he's doing out there. He started all last year and both games this year and has yet to do a single thing to show me why he deserves to be on the field. They have to have someone better than this kid. To tell you the truth, I can't figure out what it is that Penn State is trying to get out of the safety position for the past 10 years. Guys like Guman, Sukay, Mayer, Scirotto... These guys are not very fast or athletic. I think Hodges should have been left at safety, but they never seem to put top athletes at safety. They just throw them all at linebacker and have them sit the bench. Doesn't make sense to me.

-Now that Penn State's poor tackling was exposed, I expect them to fix that problem at practice this week, and I think they will improve in that area.

-Graham Zug has got to make that catch. Period.

-Linebackers are too tentative and need to play more aggressive. On Richardson's TD run, Colasanti had a clear shot at him. Instead of going after him and blowing him up, he sat back and let Richardson carry him into the end zone. Hopefully the coaches fix this as well.

- The loss of Hodges hurts, but at least it's at a potition that Penn State has some depth... even though you couldn't really tell that on Saturday.

1 Comment:

J.Albright said...

Also agreed on the Sukay analysis. I thought he had a few decent games early last season but has not progressed at all in the last year.