Monday, September 5, 2011

The Decision 2011

Rudy, great season kick-off post...I too, stand at half mast just thinking about PUS football again!

As far as the 2011 Penn State team goes, you really cant take much away from the Indiana State game. It was essentially a scrimmage or pre-season game, whichever way you want to look at it. However, there were a few players that I was looking forward to seeing how they looked.

Obviously, the QB situation is the #1 question/problem/area of concern. Two years ago, I devoted the 2010 season solely to establishing and developing a starting QB, setting up 2011 as the year PSU's makes national noise again. As we all know, that did not happen and I feel we are back at the same point we were a year ago with the QB's. However, I was excited to see how both QB's fared and how they handled the offense in their season debut. After having a few days to gather my thoughts and opinions, I have concluded that McGloin is the better answer for the time being. Clearly, Bolden is the more physicall talented player, but, to me, it looks like McGloin has better control of the offense and plays the role of "game manager" better than Bolden. If you look back on several recent National Championship teams (Ohio State '02, LSU '07, Alabama '09), they did not have a stud Heisman Trophy/1st Round Draft Pick Quarterback...they had a guy who managed the game and did not make the big mistake. Now, I know McGloin is very prone to the bone-headed throw now and then, as we saw on Saturday. But, it seems like he moves the offense better, he commands the huddle, he has the confidence, and he actually shows excitement about the fact that he is playing football at Penn State! I really dont like seeing Bolden on the sidelines with that blank stare on his face, looking like he just got news of his dog dying. I think it is a reflection of his lack of self-confidence and leadership ability. My opinions may change in the weeks to come, but for now, my vote goes to McGloin.


As for Alabama, I think this is the game PSU can show people what this team is all about. They aren't getting much respect at this point in the season and that is fine with me. I like being the underdog...in our house! I envision a game similar to Ohio State in 2005. Two good defenses, a battle for field position, with one of the defenses or special teams making a big play to set up a game-deciding score. Either way, it should be more exciting than last year.

I SPY...Adrian Amos (CB #4). As far as I can remeber, he was the only true frosh who got non mop-up time on Saturday. Dude looks big, fast, and athletic for an 18 year old kid. With the absence of Derrick Thomas ??? and a dismal Chaz Powell at corner, will Amos eventually get some first team reps?

0 Comments: