Saturday, September 3, 2011

Opening Day

I share in Rudy's excitement over a new Penn State season. I also share in his sentiments that Penn State is loaded with talent this year, and could suprise some people since they seem to be overlooked by most. The last time they had this much talent but did not come into the season highly ranked was 2005, and we all know what happened that year.

My two biggest question marks are the QB position and coaching. QB is an obvious one. The fact that Bolden didn't come out and win the job right away was upsetting to me, and I don't think that's a good sign. I was hoping for a lights-out pre-season from him to make the QB decision an easy one, and that didn't happen. So we will see what happens at QB. Again, going back to 2005, although MRob is now considered a PSU legend, if your recall correctly, there were a lot of question marks about him heading into that season. I was one of many people who had doubts about his ability to be a Big Ten quarterback. He silenced any doubters that season, however. But the point is, even though the QB situation looks like it will be a question mark this season, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be.

In regards to the coaching, I just think the team has not gotten the most out of it's talent in the last 10 years, and I'm worried that will continue this season. I could probably elaborate a little further with specific examples, but that would take a little too long. I hope the coaching staff proves me wrong this year, but I will believe it when I see it.

For me, the thing I will be watching this game is Brandon Beachum. I think he's going to be a great running back this year. Most people are excited for Redd, and rightfully so, because he's a stud. But he's also not the biggest guy in the world and I'm not sure he is a 25 carry per game back in the Big Ten. Therefore, I think Beachum, who has a little more meat on him, will be play a key role int he offense this year. I think he will receive more carries than most people are expecting. He's my player to watch for this game.

Penn State rolls.

0 Comments: