Saturday, September 17, 2011

Slashed Tires

I don't know what it is about people and slashing tires, but tonight I decided that since my baseball game was in Cambridge that I would ride my bike to it. After the victory we went to a bar to have a few drinks. As I make my way out to my bike to ride the 3.5 miles home, I discover that a tire was flat. Then I discovered that both tires were flat. One had an evident key/knife hole, the other....I saw no evidence of a stabbing. Why did you do that? I ended up having to walk my bike home. Took over an hour. Dick move. What does this have to do with Penn State football?

Alabama essentially came into town and stabbed Penn State's tires. They had no choice but to walk their bike home. Accept defeat, alter their gameplan and just pack it in and hoof it. Everyone is freaking out though....why? So you had to walk home, it's still good exercise. You still made it, and your legs are stronger even though you didn't get home the way you planned. Bolden went up against the best defense he has ever seen. The best defense anyone on that team has ever seen....and he didn't do all that bad. He had some very nice throws that were dropped, and made a few bone-head plays, but that's to be expected. In all honesty, Alabama's defensive backs are absolutely the best I have ever seen on a college football team. People complain about his always throwing to his first read, but that's not true. Many of the times it is, but those are the playaction passes where it's a certainty that Moye is single covered. Do you think that Szczerba was the hot read on that third down conversion that he fumbled away? I thought Bolden showed a lot of poise and made his decisions very quickly, which is a HUGE improvement from last year. Last year he did not have a single effective run, and he scrambled well against 'Bama.

You guys are all talking about how he's gotten worse....but that's completely false! Remember last year's Illinois game where Bolden got pressured and just threw the ball into an oncoming defender's hands? Not only did Bolden not get sacked a single time against Alabama, but he also displayed good touch, a cannon of an arm, and better overall leadership abilities. You have to admit that all of this controversy must be weighing on both quarterbacks and it can't be easy to establish any kind of rhythm out there. Supposedly this week, we will see more of the "hot" guy staying in. Let's hope that after this game, a starter can be established.

On to the Temple game. This is an intriguing game, and I expect Temple to win the MAC and possibly end the regular season ranked or at least receiving votes in the polls. Having said that, Penn State is probably pissed. This team has too much talent to just limp away with their tail between their legs. The defense is very very good, and Temple, who relies on their running game, will have tough sledding. Creating turnovers has always been tough for Penn State, and that's largely because they don't take many risks. I was actually happy to see Sukay go for that pick. Why not try and make the big play? I do agree with all of you that Devon Smith needs to take a seat. He's just a gimmick and whenever Curtis Drake is healthy, he should supplant him. I was pleased with what I saw out of Shawney Kersey and Allen Robinson. Both young guys showed some decent hands and should push the veterans to step up or the young bucks might take some of their playing time.

I will actually get to see all of this Temple game, so I am excited about that. I also need to fix my bike, but I'll leave that for another day. Let's go state.

0 Comments: