Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend Recap

Penn State is now ranked 5th in the country by the associated press. There is no way that Penn State is the fifth best team in the country right now. If they are, that does not speak very well for the curernt state of college football.

The GOOD:

Clark looked good. I thought his decision making was much better than the Akron game. He didn't force many throws into coverage, and the one interception was not his fault.

The much maligned Josh Hull actually played the best game of his career on Saturday. He looks greatly improved over last year. He is playing with a lot more confidence and seems to know what he is supposed to be doing on plays. Getting Navarro back will halp too.

Sean Lee is the best player on this team and turned in another great game.

Graham Zug had a great game and looks like he is a very reliable target for Clark with great hands.

Astorino's name has not been called much so far this season, but the kid is a heat-seeking missile.

THE BAD:

Offensive Line again did a terrible job run blocking. They are far from where they need to be, and there is no indication that they will ever get there. I know it is still early, but they should not be having that much trouble opening up holes against Akron and Syracuse. This will be a huge problem if it does not get fixed.

I was not happy with the lack of pressure put on Paulus by the defensive line. I would have expected Crawford and co. to haev a field day and pick up some sacks. They stuffed the run very well, but they need to get in the quarterback's face a little more. It was nice to see Devon Still get a lot of playing time. They rotated a lot of guys in, including freshman Sean Stanely at one point.

Kick Coverage: They allowed two big returns. This has been a problem in the past and needs to be addressed. On the other side, I still don't like Royster returning punts.

Tackling: AJ Wallace and Knowledge Timmons did a real poor job of tackling in this game.



Big Ten

I watched most of the Michigan - ND game. I thought ND was going to have their way with Michigan, and offensively, they did. Claussen played great, and they scored points at will. However, where I was completley wrong, was on the other side of the ball. I did not expect Michigan to be so succesful on offense behind a true freshman quarterback. But that's because I didn't realize that Tate Forcier is an absolute stud. In fact, I was so certain of Michigan's inability to score points that I bet money on the Irish. In just his second career start, Tate Forcier cost me $50.00. Kind of reminds me of Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption. He is already my most hated player in college football.

I am saying it right now, I am scared at the prospect of having to face this kid for four years. He can run and throw very well, and showed incredible poise for a truse freshman making his second start. He really impressed me with his decision making and his ability to make plays. He looked like a fifth-year senior out there. I knew it was only a matter of time before Michigan turned things around, but I honestly thought it would not be for at least another year. I hate to say it, but it would not surprise me at all to see Penn State lose at the Big House this year. You may think I am going overboard, especially from just one game, but that's how I feel.

Ohio State played a good game and had USC on the ropes and blew it. I thought they had the game in the bag since USC's offense wasn't moving the ball at all. I still can't believe they drove the entire field to win the game. Tough loss for the Big Ten, but at least they didn't get blown out. Terrelle Pryor is not that good.

Michigan State losing hurts the Big Ten badly. What a pathetic way to lose a game too. Purdue put in a great effort against Oregon, but lost by 2. Other than that, way too many close calls in the Big Ten.

-49ers will make the playoffs this year.

1 Comment:

Rudolf Hersh said...

To the D-lines credit, Paulus got rid of the ball very quickly and didn't allow a pass rush to reach him. Even still I expected more. The DT's look awesome however