Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Take on EASTERN ILLINOIS

I agree with Drew on this one...this is/was a senseless game for Penn State. There used to be a Big Ten rule that teams could not play out of conference games once conference play began. I think this still needs to be the case. And, yes, if we are going to play 12 games, why not play a nineth conference game?


Unfortunately, from a football standpoint, there is not a whole lot you can take from this game in preparation for the remainder of the Big Ten schedule. As expected, the first team units did what they needed to do and looked pretty good doing it. However, we did get a good look at a lot of the second and third stringers, which is where I will focus my attention for this post.
  • Kevin Newsome (QB #12)...Why was he not in at QB to start the 2nd half? Either way, this kid is still very raw and is a work-in-progress. As we all know, he can run the ball and runs with good speed and agility and is a strong kid for only being 18 or 19 years old. But, Kevin, you gotta tuck the ball in when you run! Hopefully his fumblitis taught him a lesson. Furthermore, why didnt the coaches let him throw the ball around a little bit? I was dissappointed to see them clip the wings of the young fellow. This is where he needs work. If DC17 gets hurt, he will need to come in and throw the ball. I feel he is where Clark was three years ago...if/when he comes into the game, our whole offense changes. Either way, I'm still not sold on #12. I'm not fully sure what these QB recruits have to offer, but I think the 2010 QB competition has already begun.
  • Brandon Beachum (RB #3)...Ran the ball very well when he was in there. Strong, tough runner and, like Rudy said, fits the mold of the Penn State Tailback. Almost reminds me a little bit of Tony Hunt. I think the coaches should not sleep on this kid because he could be valuable in tough yardage situations that Royster and Green sometimes cannot handle. If Royster decides to cash in for the NFL, I feel confident that Beachum can handle the role of a full-time featured back.
  • Gerald Hodges (Saf/LB #6)...Had some big hits when he was in there. I think this kid can be good. Very strong and aggressive for a freshman. Should be interesting to see whether he ends up at Safety or LB...he has the tools to play either.
  • Did anybody notice Ryan Breen's (#49) kickoff in the 4th quarter? IT WENT 7 YARDS INTO THE ENDZONE! I'm just saying...
  • I SPY...Josh Hull's Mustache! Have you guys seen this thing? It's rivaled only by St. Louis Cardinals SS Brendan Ryan for best lip sweater on the major sports scene (Photo here). I have to say, this type of man-scaping takes a great deal of testicular fortitude...especially when you are hanging around 40,000-plus 18-22 year olds on a daily basis. I would love to hear some of the comments he gets walking down College Ave! Regardless, this classic "flavor-savor" must be fueling Josh's fire (no pun intended) this season because he is turning into a solid MLB. To date, he leads the team in total tackles and solo tackles and has been very tough against the run (his pass protection is still suspect though). I'm not sure if Josh can play football at the next level but he certainly will draw attention from the adult film industry scouts!

3 Comments:

Peter Lawrence said...

I wasn't able to watch the game. If anyone knows of a time that it is being replayed on tv, please let me know.

I'm glad to hear Beachum ran well. I agree, he needs to be used more.

The analysis of Newsome is on par with what I have seen. He is still very raw and needs a lot of coaching, which is expected with a true freshman. We would be in a lot of trouble if Clark got hurt this year. But Newsome does have good running skills, which is nice. I wonder how McGloin is doing. I've heard good things about him.

I briefly saw a highlight that showed true freshman WR #19 Justin Brown. Rudy told me he looked pretty good. That's good to hear.

Basically I'm just glad that game is out of the way and we can get to the heart of the schedule coming up. Should be interesting.

Oh, and Josh Hull absolutely has no future in the NFL, but I do agree that he has gotten much better this year. He's been playing very well.

J.Albright said...

Pete, be on the lookout for this game to be replayed on Big Ten's Greatest Games sometime soon!

Peter Lawrence said...

Haha. Somehow I doubt that. Is anyone going to PSU for homecoming this weekend?