Friday, November 13, 2009

Ohio State and the Remaining

So Ohio State beats us at home again, although our series with them is fairly even it seems they always get the better of us. Which brings me back to something Jason said earlier in this season in regards to writers predicting Penn State's failure. This is not a time for I told you so but I think writers ultimately feel just like me, let down too many times. I think most PSU fans have been severely heart broken and a bit of a wall builds and its hard to have faith. Sounds a bit like a bad break up story but its true. Or as Rocky Balboa would say "It's a lot where you're almost guaranteed to end up a bum."

I think you guys hit most of the main points but I'd like to elaborate on a few. Any Lion fan who left early should be ashamed of themselves. It gives the visiting fans such a smug sense of accomplishment to see people head for the exits. It wasn't bad weather, keep your butt in the seat. I personally don't believe Beaver Stadium is a hostile place to play nine out of ten times. There is the rare game a la PSU-OSU 2005 where everyone just brings it. Most of the time it is the people behind me who yell louder for me to sit down on a crucial defensive stand than they do for the actual team. And lets sit during the game and stand up at halftime to watch they band. Is this bizarro world? At the Capitol One bowl in 2002 I saw an Auburn crowd one fourth our size absolutely put the mute button on us. I have trouble respecting people's opinions when they tell me Beaver Stadium is one of the toughest places to play. It tells me they haven't been to too many other stadiums.

This game was 100% lost in the trenches. Ohio State was collapsing on Clark with only 4 rushers and and I think all this negative talk getting thrown at DC-17 is not completely deserved. You can find gaps when 7 guys are dropping in coverage but not when you only have 3 seconds to throw. Our offensive line looked absolutely pitiful. I couldn't remember a first down in the second half. Looking at the drive charts later our most successful drive of the second half was our first which went for 12 yards on 6 plays. We wouldn't get another first down until the game was well in hand. That's despicable. Five punts, an interception, and a turnover on downs. I don't even know where to begin. And why in the world do you punt the ball away with the game still undecided at the 7 minutes mark then go for it on fourth down after its all over but the shouting? I'll tell you why, its a chickens*** cowardly move so someone in the media couldn't cram it down their throats for throwing in the towel. Well I saw right through as did most I think.

This is par for the course as PSU football goes, the defense did its job and the offense keeps putting them back on the field. I can't tell you how many games Penn State has lost over the years because the offense could not get one more first down. As much as I hate to pin this loss on Darryl Clarke, he has pretty much cemented his place as a pretty forgettable quarterback in PSU history. Not that he is a bad quarterback, but how much do you hear people talk about Kevin Thompson?

For this week, something scares me about Indiana. You kind of have to love a team with nothing to lose. They have played some close ones and I'm sure they are just as aware as anyone that they have never beaten the Lions after coming close a few times. This Penn State team has had notoriously slow starts and I fully expect Indiana to come out and smack us in the mouth before we begin to play. I would not be surprised to see Penn State behind in this game. But come back they shall. Penn State usually brings it on Senior Day and I think this will be no exception. I like the Lions in an ugly one.

I don't know where Penn State will end up for a bowl game but it will be pretty underwhelming. We have lost to two teams who are a shell of what they used to be. I don't buy into all the SEC hype but I certainly wouldn't be upset if we didn't have to prove it ourselves this year. So unless they are honoring the 86 national championship team at halftime, I'm watching it from the bar.
-DM3

0 Comments: