Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MINNE-SLOW-TA

Looking back, I never really had any doubts about this game. I know this might sound trite, but I was more worried about staying dry and warm than I was about what might happen on the field. To me, Minnesota looked very slow on both sides of the ball. Thier LB's, who were supposed to be good, were no where to be seen on several of Royster's off tackle runs and their running game was non-existent. Weber moves with cinder blocks on his feet and Decker might want to start taking some soft-toss during pre-game because he has a better chance of playing baseball on Sundays. I will admit I did not know much about Minnesota coming in, but I think at this point Penn State is a team, like Rudy said, that can only beat themselves in these types of games.

While I agree that the snowball-throwing student section was extremely classless, I feel that it reflected the overall attitude toward this game...Who cares, its Minnesota. For example...why were the parking lots closed and tailgates prohibited? Would this have been the case if it were Ohio State or Michigan? Walking around campus before and after the game, there was no reason for this. There was a few inches of snow on the ground; what was the big deal? I cant believe they made a little mid-October snowfall into such a monster...it's State College, PA not Atlanta, GA!!! It snows here during football season! It has before and it will again. Guido D'Elia must have been kidnapped and locked in Holuba Hall for the weekend because "The Great Show" was average at best.

Specific Game Thoughts:

  • This game was really more lopsided than the score indicated. Penn State did dominate. I think the total yards were something like 450 to 150 and the time of possession was 3 to 1. Clark made a lot of good reads and throws. I like how he puts the ball in places where only his player will get the ball. No pass interference on Moye in the 4th quarter and the score is 27-0. I think we could have used some style points.
  • I like Stephfon Green but I don't think his absence will hurt as much as people are saying. Beachum is up to the challenge.
  • This defense gets better and better each week. Lee looked like he was a step behind his normal pace though. Hopefully he will be ready to go against Michigan. I still cant wait to see the LB's at full-strength.
  • Hats off to AJ Wallace for completely shutting down Eric Decker and limiting him to one catch. I'm not sure how good Decker really is but Wallace covered him well on the outside and took away Minnesota's only playmaker. Additionally, he helped preserve the shutout with a big 4th down goaline stand. Not bad for a guy who thinks the problem with college football is that the players are not paid enough! (Details here) I still would like to see him wrap guys up more in the open field.
  • I'm not sure why Joe defends Collin Wagner so much. I don't think he's a bad kicker but lets face it...the kid has a weak leg. Short again on 49-yrd FG.
  • Isn't it crazy that we have played 7 games and only 1 away from Beaver Stadium? I hope that doesn't come to hurt up at the Big House.

PS. I am looking for 4 Ohio State tickets. If anybody knows anyone selling, please let me know.

0 Comments: